Monday, June 18, 2012

Arriving in Geneva!


It is hard to believe that after endless months of preparation, I am finally here! I arrived in Geneva, Switzerland on Friday and have been thoroughly enjoying my time here so far!
I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to spend a few days in Geneva with my mom before I began work at the United Nations as a little “mini-vacation” for the both of us! J We arrived early Friday morning and were greeted by Evelyn of the Dominican Delegation at the airport. She took us on a driving tour of the city and I was able to see the UN, the office where I will be working, my housing, and the gorgeous sites of the city, including Lake Geneva! Friday evening, my mom and I spent a little time figuring out the bus system because it is the main method of transportation in Geneva (that and bikes!) and then we both went to bed very early- the 6 hour time difference is exhausting!
On Saturday, we took a day trip to France and were able to go to the top of Mont Blanc, one of the tallest mountains in the Alps! It is 12 Eiffel Towers high! The views from the top of the mountain were incredible and it was amazing to see the mountain covered with snow while nothing else around it was! After coming down from the mountain, we had lunch in the small town of Chamonix and then went to visit a large glacier that lies between two smaller mountains. We were lucky enough that the tunnel into the glacier had just opened that day so we were able to go inside the glacier, which was absolutely unreal! For dinner that evening, we went to a restaurant modeled after a Swiss Chalet. The waiters and waitresses were dressed in traditional Swiss clothing and there was even a man yodeling for entertainment! It was a little cheesy but also delicious! (We had fondue for dinner, which was also cheesy…hahaha!)



(The views from Mont Blanc and my mom and I inside a glacier! )

Sunday was a BIG day for me! First, my mom and I went to visit the UN early in the morning and were lucky enough that no one else was there yet! We got some great pictures of the entrance and of the main sign for the UN! Also, I had been staying in the hotel with my mom but on Sunday made the trek across Geneva to the Old City, which will be my home for the next month! The Old City is incredibly beautiful and I definitely prefer it to the more modern parts of the city where the UN is mentioned. I was very pleasantly surprised by Home St. Pierre and by the amazing view of Cathedral St. Pierre, which is right across a small square, from my room! The Cathedral bells that chime every fifteen minutes were a bit difficult to sleep through but I am sure I will get used to it in time! I am also fortunate enough to have a beautiful terrace on top of the Home where I am writing this blog post now! The views of the city are absolutely incredible!

(In front of the UN!)


(The view from my window!!)


(My view right now!)

After moving in on Sunday, I spent some time exploring the Old City with my mom and some friends that we met up with and then went to bed early in preparation for my first day of work on Monday! 

1 comment: